Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Memorial Day: the unofficial start of summer! For me, nothing says summer more then a fresh tomato sandwich.  So what better way to celebrate the season then with a fried green tomato sandwich from the Whistle Stop Cafe in Juliette, Georgia! 

It wasn't until 1990, in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, that the space took on it's current role as a southern style restaurant Built in 1927 the building spent it's first 45 years as a General Store. When the doors closed in 1972 the store went through a series of a different reincarnations. I'm not quite sure when it became a real restaurant but I think it was at least ten years ago (as this is my third visit - and my last visit was in 2004). The menu is exactly what you'd expect from the movie/book: fried green tomatoes, pulled pork, southern sides and cobbler for dessert. Eating here isn't just lunch, it's a trip back in time. Love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment