Friday, September 30, 2011

Homemade Salsa

When Oliver asks for dinner ideas classic Latin American dishes are always the first to come to my mind. Tacos, enchiladas, moles and mojos (oh my)! There is no denying these are my favorite foods.

Oliver's guacamole is by far the best I've ever tasted (and I have tasted many gaucamoles). It's heavy on citrus and fresh ground cumin. So this week, when he announced that he planned to also start making his own salsa, I was very excited.

The salsa recipe combines fresh tomatillos, several types of dried peppers, onion, garlic and a dash of salt. After quartering the tomatillos and onions he tossed them in olive oil roasted them in under the broiler. The peppers were cut with kitchen scissors, seeded and soaked in hot water. Then it all went into the blender together. The result was a smokey, hot, delicious homemade salsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment