Sunday, May 6, 2012

The ethics of meat eating

Six weeks ago the New York Times Magazine announced a contest asking readers to explain why eating meat is ethical. The winning essay by Jay Bost summarizes so many of my own beliefs. "...Eating meat raised in specific circumstances is ethical; eating meat raised in other circumstances is unethical. Just as eating vegetables, tofu or grain raised in certain circumstances is ethical and those produced in other ways is unethical." This opinion is one that I seek to advance yet I find I never have the words to do so. As a household that consciously eats ethically raised meat and grows our own vegetables I still fall back on blog posts featuring simple photos of meals and gardens. While in the back of my mind I'm wishing I had the ability to compose fiery diatribes that would convince even the most devoted CAFO eater to give up their factory raised, pink slime filled meats. Whether you agree with me or not, I hope that you will take 10 minutes to read Jay's response as well as the responses from the runners up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment